Tips to Pedestrians and Drivers
The University Police Department supports the improvement of the quality of life on campus through the increase of safe walking and bicycling as a viable means of transportation and physical activity. Now that the fall semester is underway, pedestrian traffic has increased around campus. For the safety of our campus, we offer these helpful tips to drivers and pedestrians:
- Use sidewalks.
- Cross only at intersections and crosswalks.
- Be alert and aware when you are crossing the street. Do not be distracted by cell phones, PDAs or headsets.
- See and be seen. Walk facing traffic.
- Drive carefully.
- Obey all highway signs.
- Give pedestrians the Right of Way. According to Virginia State Law, you must give Right of Way to pedestrians crossing or about to cross marked crosswalks.
- Pay close attention for crossing pedestrians, especially at night.